Current acrylics practice. I haven’t added either nails or chains to the painting so far, so you get the draft too, to see what I intend to do with it later. ^^ Having my fun, but no idea what I’m doing.
And any suggestion for the color and texture of the horns?
Halloween is dead in Australia, but I got into the spirit of things.
Sometimes I dream about this girl, singing to the sea. She is happy, but I seldom see her face…
Studio Art Unit 2- Outcome 2
Reflection and evaluation
I was quite pleased with how the guitar turned out in the end, and pleased with getting my ideas all organised and sorted out to putting them on paper and considering which idea best suited what I wanted to convey. I had many ideas, but I think brainstorming each idea worked well, as it helped me further my thinking and artistic process, and also when I reached a bit of an ‘art block’ as some may term it, reading through previous ideas helped give rise to better ideas I could incorporate. I know my piece is successful, because I’m happy with how the design turned out, and the fact my family and friends have been commenting on how well-designed the piece turned out. I can share the success with them, and also am looking forward to sharing it with other members of the art community at the Siena exhibition, where all my work will be placed.
I think plotting out all the ideas helped prepare me for this task as it broadened my mind to endless possibilities about where the open-ended outcome could go. Also, making little thumbnails about what interested me or what I thought about my theme, ‘insides’, helped give me a visual reference point and conveyed my intention as a physical, aesthetic form. Experimenting using different media and drawing on past experience helped me use these skills to further my techniques, and to improve on existing skills I practised drawing whilst concentrating on proportion and realistic figures. I do tend to shy away from using technology but for this piece, I used sketchbook pro on my iPad to help me figure out what might look good on the guitar. I used so many photos, animal drawings and animal books to help me get an idea about proportions and characteristics of birds, which also included how they fly, how the wings and legs work and it was very interesting to learn and I got much out of it. I found books especially valuable sources and reference points to use that helped construct the bird I painted. Printing off various photos or including sketches of them in my folio helped organise one place where I could find relevant information. This came quite useful as the project went on? I feel most happy about my conveyance about the insides efficient and effective, and brought across my ideas, thoughts and feelings.
I think next time, I would try working faster, and more effectively. There were a few times I’d just leave it because I could not concentrate so finely on the details for long period of time, and this influenced my ability to learn effectively. Overall, however, I am very pleased with how my work came about, and I am confident and take pride in knowing I learnt much about birds, and about my capabilities as an artist. I was also successful with how my thoughts and feelings are represented in something that turned out better hen I could have hoped.
YEAH finally finished it all off, ready for display for the exhibition at our school :)
After painstakingly painting on details, I covered up all areas I didn’t want the spray varnish on, which included the bridge, around the sides, the sound hole and the neck. I had to wait 8 hours between sprays, and did a total of 3 layers.
More details were added into the body of the bird, including legs, head and basic facial features. I also went overboard with some of the fine free handing pattern in the background of the guitar.
On close inspection you can see the details I added to the body and wings, slowly building into different colours and shades
I painted on mid tones, then darker tones, then added details of highlights and lowlights onto the wings first, before doing the body.
Using Jo Sonja’s paints, I painted on a light blue as the base. Because the wood is a dark green/black, I had to start with the lightest tone first otherwise mid/dark tones would be lost.
I also free handed some patterns into the bridge.